Friday, November 8, 2013

I'm Thankful for My Funny Family (or Friends)


I've had my students complete the same story starter for years when Thanksgiving rolls around...What are you most thankful for?  And it seems I always get the same responses...
"I am thankful for my friends, my school, and my video games." 
That was basically the gist of their writing pieces...ugh! 
I wanted them to get deeper, more specific, and use great word choice-and year after year, I taught them about juicy words, asked them to tell specific things they were thankful for and why.  And, year after year I still got the same type of responses from the students.  Then...
The FUNNY FAMILY pictures ended the boring and lifeless Thanksgiving writing pieces.
I'm Thankful for My Funny Family Writing
How to get a great Thanksgiving writing piece started:
First, ask each child to bring in a family photo.  If a child doesn't bring in a photo, simply take one with their friends in class and use the Thankful for My Funny Friends writing topic.  Enlarge it on the copy machine (make sure it is set to photo).  I enlarge a 4x6 photo 180%.  Then, give them their photo and have them go crazy with fun foam, chenille sticks, puff balls, fabric-any odds and ends I can find in your bin of art supplies.  You can even ask parents for donations of scraps since many of them have little things like this around the house (let them know you are just looking for scraps, nothing needs to be bought new).






    Next, the students complete a graphic organizer and writing piece on why they love their funny family.  They often include funny nicknames their parents call them, funny stories they share, or things their brothers and sisters do.  Then, when their final writing pieces are done, invite their families in and have each child read them to the group and be prepared for lots of laughter!!

Interested in the file?  Find the file here on Teachers Pay Teachers.  Includes a Thanksgiving version (I'm Thankful for My Funny Family/Friends) and one to use any time of the year (I'm Grateful for My Funny Family/Friends).


 The first 2 people to leave a comment telling me why they're thankful for their funny family or friends will receive the file for free!  Be sure to leave your email address in your comment!!

6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea to get the writing juices flowing! I am so fortunate to have "funny friends/family" to do life with. They make everyday more interesting and those not so great days more bearable. So blessed! Thanks!

    tcellis@whitfield.k12.ga.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did this last year...so FUN! The kids LOVED it and the families as well! Since I already have this file..give it to the next person that comments!

    :) Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I too always get the same boring writings. What a great way to encourage voice and word choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Thanks for sharing! I know I'm not the first 2 but I am thankful that my funny family and friends make each day that much more exciting! I never know what crazy story or adventure we will go on, but they keep me smiling every day!

    I love this time of the year! Can't wait to see what my students will be writing about! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Christy! I love your comment! If you have a minute, could you send me a quick email at nicole@simplysweetlessons.com? I'd be happy to send you the file :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Nicole! That's so sweet! I sent you an email =)

    ReplyDelete