Friday, December 6, 2013

Holiday Compliment Box

One year I was thinking about how much my students always *LOVE* passing out their Valentine's Day cards to their friends.  The excitement on their faces as they sit there and go through each and every sweet little note is priceless.  This got me thinking of a way to bring that joy to them at another time of the year.  That's when I started the Holiday Compliment Box activity in my class.

Here's how it goes...
Give each student a class list, a collection of compliment sheets (1 for every student besides themselves), and a take home letter explaining the project.  First, students are to decorate a small box (a shoe box, Kleenex box, etc.) at home.  Most students wrap it in wrapping paper.  Be sure they wrap it so it can be opened (be sure they don't wrap it shut).
Then, have them write why each classroom is a special gift to their class on the blank compliment sheets.  I usually do a couple in class first {secretly so the other students don't see who they're writing to!!}.  Then, the rest should be done at home.  I encourage students to do a few each night so they are not overwhelmed with cards to do the night before.  I tell the students that each compliment has to be specific, not just, "You are nice."  Going with the nice theme, one compliment could be, "It was so nice of you to help me when I fell and scraped my knee on the playground."

Next, it's time to pass them out!  This is by far the best part!!  The students place their decorated box on their desk and pass the notes out "Valentine's Day style".
Finally, it's time to sit down and read them.  Oh...my...good...ness!  The looks on their faces are priceless.  They feel SOOOO special and feel really good about themselves!  It is so beautiful to see.  I hear comments such as, "I didn't know Johnny thought I was great at solving math problems!!"  Or, "I'm so happy that Emma thinks I'm a good friend to everyone around."
If you're interested in this file, you can find it on Teachers Pay Teachers by clicking here.  The file includes a parent letter, 2 options for the compliment cards, directions with pictures, and a reflection sheet for $2.

     Who would you compliment this holiday season?  What would you say to them?  The first 2 people    
           who comment will receive the file for free.  Be sure to leave your email in your comment!!


2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I'm glad that I visited your site. I forgot that you both have new blog sites and your not Lesson SOS anymore. I need to repost both your sites. Thanks for sharing your great ideas. tflickinger@usd259.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for an idea like this for my classroom of 3rd graders and feel fortunate to have found your Simply Sweet Lessons right away. I purchased cylinder Christmas tins (4" tall x 3.5" wide) with lids that will be perfect to hold all the compliments written by the students to each another. Each tin has a beautiful handmade bow hot-glued to the top. Written on the cylinder itself is the students name, along with the year, grade and teacher name. On the bottom of the tin, each student wrote his/her first name in permanent colored marker. There are 30 students and 30 names in different colors! The names are small, but easy to read. It is beautiful! The tin will be an amazing keepsake for years to come! Thanks for your compliment idea! beth.matrow@palmbeachschools.org

    ReplyDelete